Jan 17, 2010

Kate: The Party Planner (Cupcakes included!)

In my professional cupcakeing career (almost a month now.), I have come to terms with the fact that no cupcakes are ever supposed to be perfect. With that said: I have made the most perfect cupcakes! Well, kind of! Jon's birthday party was "24" themed, with the season premiere of our own Jack Bauer! Jon requested something simple and delicious, and I knew that just would not do. So I picked a Chocolate cupcake and a White cupcake recipe to be marbleized! Then we bought black food coloring to mix in with Vanilla frosting! My Saturday night was spent mixing and stirring and thinking about what I would write on my blog (apparently already famous!) Here are the cupcakes out of the oven:


Now is where I should add that I couldn't stick with the theme of 24 with 24 cupcakes, and with all of my left over batter, came up with 48 cupcakes!! I'm not joking! I had used a dark chocolate powder here, so the chocolates were a little too rich for my taste...I suppose I will have to try, try again.


And now...the devil of the evening:


I used that whole thing! I think it added an odd flavor to the icing, but I don't think anyone else noticed.


So the idea behind this black icing was to match the 24 style, and we found this AWESOME food coloring spray that we were going to stencil "24" onto the cupcakes. BUT apparently, the spray doesn't show up on black. That was a bummer, 20 minutes before the big party! My fast moving brain did some food coloring in sugar to make orange to stencil "24" on that way--semi-success!

(I sincerely apologize for the quality--does anyone know where my camera memory card is?!)

All in all, these puppies were a success, looked great and everyone seemed to really enjoy them. Cavities prevented my pleasure, but I still was happy!



The party was wonderful with great people, and a fantastic first 2 hours of 24! Let the season begin!

Recipes used today:
Chocolate cupcakes (Crazy about Cupcakes by Krystina Castella)
White cupcakes (Crazy about Cupcakes by Krystina Castella)
Vanilla frosting (Crazy about Cupcakes by Krystina Castella)

4 comments:

  1. How pretty were your teeth after eating the black frosting?! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprisingly not terrible! I even brought them to work and we are all doing just fine! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. My birthday is in May so you should start preparing now for what you are making me. I love pink and sprinkles, not a big fan of chocolate. Haha, just kidding, maybe sorta. ;-)

    -Janelle

    ReplyDelete